Your Privacy Matters To Us.
Here at Ocean Software we treat all data with the utmost care. We try to minimise the amount of personal data that we ask you for, and are thoughtful about how we use any information that we collect about you throughout your dealings with our organisations, and in the delivery of our services.
Ocean Software is committed to providing quality services and this policy outlines our ongoing obligations in respect to how we manage personal information. We have adopted the Australia Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988. The APPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of personal information. A copy of the Australian Privacy Principles may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au
If you wish to delete your personal information from our systems we ask that you please contact our Quality Assurance team with your request. We will action all personal requests promptly and completely.
We may be required to share your data with our parent company, The Meydan Group, if it is required in order to facilitate business transactions.
We will not share your data with any external third parties.
Ocean Software is a subsidiary of the Meydan Group of companies. We are a privately held, wholly Australian owned company, headquartered in Melbourne Australia.
We primarily work with the worlds Defence Forces, designing and building software products that enables them to improve efficiency, safety, and compliance.
Our website, https://ocean.software as well as our software products and applications, (including FlightPro®, TAMS, OpsPro®, and any other software products that we have developed in the past or will develop in the future).
This policy applies to interaction with our products and services accessed by you through any device.
- to any third party products we might use to manage your data, such as salesforce.com
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so. For example, to provide information about our products or services, to communicate with you, or to make our services better for you.
The personal information is obtained in many ways including but not limited to employment, client contracts, websites, telephone and from third parties.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources.
We collect and store information that you provide to us, yet the amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Personal Information:We ask for basic personal information from you when you try to download content from our website. This information is collected via an online form and the data is fed automatically into our CRM system. We use this information to determine who you are and where you might be on your customer journey. That information might be reused by us to communicate with you in the future.
- Customer Information:If you are an active customer we collect and store any information that you provide to us that we may need to maintain your services. This is different for every customer, and in many instances due to the rotating nature of many defence roles, this information may be limited to generic information related to the role. This information is also stored in our CRM system.
- Communications With Us:You may also provide us information when you communicate with us, through our website, by email, or through interactions at trade shows and conferences. This information may also be stored in our CRM system.
1.2 Employee Data:
- Employee data (other than that identified below) will be protected and not distributed without the consent of the employee except for legal obligations (e.g. ATO)
- Employee names and their Ocean contact details will be distributed within Ocean and to Ocean’s clients as required.
1.3 Customer Data:
- Customers information will only be shared in the sales process.
- Customer data will only be used for the purpose its intended for.
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information:Like most service providers that operate a website, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. This information is provided to us by Google Analytics in an anonymous aggregated form, and is not able to be used for identifying purposes, but is used to make our website and services better.
- Usage Information:We collect information about the performance of our products and how they function when being used by you.
- Stored Information:We do not access information stored on your mobile device via our mobile app.
- Interactions with Other Users’ Sites:We do not collect information about your interactions with other users’ sites while you are logged into any of our services.
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you maintain a LinkedIn.com profile, or publish papers for presentation at conferences.
We may also get information, such as a phone number or mailing address, from individual/ personal research, third party services, or from peer introductions. When information is sourced in any of these manners we are transparent and forthcoming about where we sourced our information from.
We do not collect any data arising from the use of our products by our customers.
In most instances our products are implemented on our customer’s sites, with responsibility for data integrity and security wholly maintained by our customers.
Some of our products are provided using the “Software As A Service” model, or are hosted by us for our customers.
Ocean Software uses appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect all data entered into its SAAS products against unauthorized processing and accidental disclosure, access, loss, destruction, or alteration. Ocean Software has robust security and privacy programs in place that meet the highest standards in the industry. They enable us to comply with a variety of data protection laws and regulations applicable to Ocean Software.
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services–for example, to manage product updates and upgrades, manage billing, provide product support and training;
- To further develop and improve our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will gain greater efficiency from;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition–for example, we may analyze how many individuals sought information about one of our products after an advertising promotion;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent or illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Ocean Software or the Meydan Group, which may result in us declining the use of our Services;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about information we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Ocean Software and our products; and
- To better personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations, target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example, those in a particular country, or users of specific products), and serve relevant advertisements.
3.2 Sensitive Information
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, membership of political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information.
Sensitive information will be used by Ocean only for the primary purpose for which it was obtained
- For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose
- With consent from the individual; or where required or authorised by law
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
(1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account–for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
(2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
(3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
(4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
(5) You have given us your consent–for example when you downloaded content from our website.
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
Third Parties: We do not share your information with third parties unless there is a specific need for us to do so. In such circumstances you would be personally contacted by us so that we may seek your permission. In some circumstances Ocean may be provided with information by third parties. In such a case we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the individual is made aware of the information provided to Ocean by the third party.
Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request where that request originates either within our own country’s borders, or within your own country’s borders and that request is deemed to be reasonable and within the relevant international law.
To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Ocean Software, or the public at large.
With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you specifically authorize us to do so, such as a company with which we are partnering to deliver a product or service.
Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may use old (>24months) de-identified data for product demonstration purposes.
Published Support Requests: If you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to de-identify the email, and then publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
We do not share information publicly, except in instances where specific permission has been sought, and permission has been maintained.
For example, customer quotations that appear on our website, in press releases, or in our whitepapers and datasheets appear as the result of express written permission being granted by our customers.
5.3 Disclosure of Personal Information
Personal information may be disclosed in a number of circumstance including the following:
- Third parties where the individual has consented to use or disclose; and
- Where required or authorised by law
Due to the nature of our business we rarely discard records, but do occasionally clear out customer records from our CRM system where no useful information has been provided, or where we are aware that original provider is no longer connected to their original organisation.
While no website is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our website for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
We do not maintain customer or end user information within our company’s website.
We also keep our external online presence separate from areas where any other product, customer, or business data is maintained.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide:We do no prevent you from providing us with incorrect information, such as false email, or made up names. We’d rather you didn’t of course, but if you wish to not be identified then this is the most effective method.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications:We do not currently utilise mass email or mass marketing tools, however in the future this may change.
- You will be given the option to opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- et Your Browser to Reject Cookies:At this time, Ocean Software does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of our Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using our websites. With the drawback that certain features of Ocean Software’s websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can do that by contacting us about one of the other rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us to, well, find out how to reach us.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
9.1 Opting Out Of Cookies And Targeted Advertising:
- To opt out of retargeted ads on Google, please refer to Google’s help article:
- To block Google Analytics tracking in your browser, you can install the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
Ocean Software’s Services are worldwide, but Ocean Software Head Quarters in Australia is the controller (or co-controller) of personal information, which means that they are the company responsible for processing that information, based on the particular service and the location of the individual using our Services.
- In the case of US based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
- You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.
Ocean Software uses third party software to manage and maintain our website, as well as our CRM services and support services. While reasonable efforts have been made to ensure GDPR compliance of these third party providers, we don’t own or control these third parties and they have their own rules about collection, use and sharing of information, which you should review.
To obtain a full list of those services please contact us.